Activities for this Lesson Plan
Benefit of the Collage Medium
Make a Scape Collage (worksheet)
Time: A week long project
Grade Level: 9 – 12
School Subject: Studio Art
- Discuss and analyze Megan Coyle’s collage technique.
- Discuss the benefit of using collage when compared to other art materials.
- Compare the differences and similarities between landscape and cityscape collages.
- Make a landscape or cityscape collage.
- Thick drawing paper
- Acid-free glue sticks
- Acrylic matte varnish
- Have students read Megan Coyle’s bio and study the collages in her online galleries.
- Discuss how Coyle’s collages are constructed – review her process.
- Have students read over the Student Activities: Benefit of the Collage Medium, Landscape Collages, and Cityscape Collages.
- Discuss the different type of cityscape and landscape artwork that exists. What can an artist share or show by depicting landscapes and cityscapes?
- Distribute the collage-making materials and have students create a landscape or cityscape collage. Instruct students to sketch their composition before they start collaging.
- When the collages are complete, have students hand in their work.
- During class discussion, did students contribute to analyzing Megan Coyle’s collage technique and style?
- Did the student complete a cityscape or landscape paper collage?
- Did the student use a variety of color and texture?