2011 has been a wonderful year, filled with lots of firsts. I’m so grateful that I get to do what I love every day. So, to celebrate the upcoming year, here are 12 things that occurred this past year:
1) Finished illustrating and writing my first children’s book, Duck & Fish
3) Was published for the first time in a national craft magazine – Somerset Studio
4) Had one of my collages published in a major newspaper for the first time – the Washington Post.
5) First time having my artwork appear on a celebrity’s website – Conan O’Brien
6) My artwork was accepted to be published in a book on Flower Art – which will be my first art book publication.
7) Created an education section for my website. Every year, students and teachers contact me to get more information about my artwork and process, so I figured I’d make things easier for them by creating an education section. I made sure to include process pictures, online lesson plans, and even matching games and puzzles for younger kids.
8) First time having my artwork make an appearance on TV – even though it was only shown briefly, and on a local news station in North Carolina, it still counts 🙂
9) Donated a work of art for the first time to a nonprofit called The Cure Starts Now.
10) Created my first series of text collages called “Art for Everyone.”
11) Ran my first day-long collage workshop
12) Lots of traveling for exhibits – solo show in Jasper, IN; group exhibit in Richmond, Kentucky; group exhibit in Lexington, NC
Overall, I’m grateful I had so many opportunities this year. I’m excited to see what 2012 will bring. And I hope everyone has a safe and Happy New Year!